Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Successful Spine Surgery a Year Ago Today!

November 16, 2016

A year ago today I had my successful spine surgery.  I had suffered with inhuman pain from around the beginning of April until November 16, 2015.

I cried when I came out from my anesthesia several hours later, because I was finally pain free.

Fortunately my surgery took place early in the day.  I remember suffering extreme pain that morning even as we drove to the hospital.

The nurse who got me prepared asked "What is your pain level?" I said "Seven." She said "Seven, I'd hate to see ten!"

Well I saw "ten" many times.  Once I was in so much pain I couldn't turn to my bedside table to reach my pain medications, and I had to be lifted by EMTs out of my bed to be taken to a hospital.

Another time the pain was so severe my co-workers called for an ambulance so I could be taken to a hospital right from work.

There were lots of other stories, but I'll spare you.

Fortunately we were able to take a terrific trip to the Philippines from the first week in January, until the first week in March, where I was able to make substantial recovery progress.


Dr. Joseph Lee,
Reconstructive Orthopedics

Not in this particular order, but I am grateful to Dr. Joseph Lee, Reconstructive Orthopedics, for his successful, skillful work, and his very humane treatment of me from the first day I met him, right up until about two weeks ago when he told me I was basically 100% healed.


Cookie Changco Thompson,
at Romulo's Cafe, Manila
To Cookie Chango Thompson, for always being at my side.



With Tita Inday, Manila
To Tita Inday for her prayers, which I know helped me through my surgery.



El Nido, island of Palawan, Philippines
To Mario Changco for his hospitality, and arranging for the great trip to El Nido, island of Palawan, Philippines, which allowed me in a way to harken back to my younger days in Laguna Beach, CA


Changco Home,
General Santos City,
Philippines
To Jim Changco, and his family for their generous hospitality in GenSan. (And educating me as to the fine details of the Philippine presidential election.)



Hidden Valley Springs,
Laguna, Philippines
(
The Soda Pool is my favorite!)

To the Roxas family for their generous hospitality, for both staying at their home in Manila, and arranging for our wonderful stay at Hidden Valley Springs, and providing us with transportation to and from the airport, and to and from Hidden Valley Springs. (Complete with cashews!)

So thanks everyone, for being so kind to me!

The last time I met with Dr. Lee a few weeks ago, I asked him if I should slow down, he said "No, I don't advise men to slow down until they reach age 70!"

So I'm looking forward to many, many more highly productive years, thanks to all of the great people who surround me!

Steve Thompson
November 16, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment