Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Becoming a Great and Comfortable Public Speaker

Several years ago I had the opportunity to speak before a group of around forty journalists and editors out in the Midwest, on an internet service I was promoting.  Everyone in the audience, without exception, was better educated than I am.  Most were experts on technical subjects that were over my head.

Was I intimidated by this audience?  You bet I was!

But I knew I had something they should know.  I knew that on the subject upon which I was speaking, I was better informed than they were.

I spoke to them early on a Friday afternoon, and it went great!  When I called back on the following Monday morning, someone told me everyone was still talking about my presentation!

Last year I was asked to represent an automotive company at a weekly networking luncheon.  Each week I was expected to speak briefly to a group of professionals from other industries about some aspect of the automotive business.  Was I an automotive expert?  No way!  I was learning the automotive business last year!

I believe that anyone who wants to can become an effective public speaker.  Why? Because first of all, everyone has a level of apprehension before speaking to a group, it's perfectly natural.  But secondly, we all have a level of superior expertise on the subjects we encounter regularly, and consequently we have something of value to contribute to our audience.

So if you have a public speaking engagement coming up, and you feel some apprehension, I know I can help you.  I can help you construct your speech, then show you how to deliver it calmly and effectively.  Then afterwards, everyone will be talking about your great presentation!

All you have to do is give me a call at 856-942-4434, or e-mail me at steve@thomcomm.com

We're going to make this our best year yet!


-- Steve Thompson



No comments:

Post a Comment